Joanne Brown PhD, Couple Psychodynamic Psychotherapist
BACP accred counsellor, BPC accred Dynamic Interpersonal Therapist
- 1:1 Psychodynamic Therapy (short or long term therapy).
- 1:1 Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (16 week structured therapy).
- Couple Psychotherapy.
Joanne is an individual and couple therapist specialising in trauma and stress-related issues in her individual work and in relationship difficulties in her couple work. She also offers short-term DIT (dynamic interpersonal therapy) which is a government-approved short term structured therapy for depression and anxiety.
In addition to her own clinical work, Joanne provides supervision to practitioners working in a wide variety of contexts and has many years of experience running reflective groups for clinicians from diverse fields (clinical psychologists, mental health nurses, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Practitioners, etc.). She has also provided postgraduate research supervision to clinicians (at the Tavistock Clinic in London and the University of Southampton) and examined and supervised numerous MAs and PhDs in the mental health field (on self-harm, trauma and recovery, mindfulness, attachment and relationships, etc.).
Joanne has also been a senior lecturer in mental health and psychosocial studies for 30 years. She has worked at Nottingham Trent University (1988-1992), at UEL (1992-2004), at the Tavistock Clinic in London (1995-2004) and most recently at the University of Southampton (2004-2018). Joanne publishes in the field of mental health and psychosocial studies.
Professional and academic qualifications
- PhD A Psychosocial Exploration of Love and Intimacy, UEL (2002)
- MA Working with Children, Young People and Families – Tavistock and Portman NHS London Trust/UEL (2000)
- PGCert Counselling Aspects in Education, Tavistock and Portman NHS London Trust/UEL (1994)
- MA Psychoanalytic Couple Psychotherapy, Tavistock Relationships London/UEL
- BA (Hons) Social Sciences (Psychology, Philosophy, Politics), Nottingham Trent University (1988)
- Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy, Anna Freud Centre, London (2013)
- CBT Post qualification Counselling Skills, Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre (2008)
- Dip Psychodynamic Counselling, WPF (2007)
BACP accredited counsellor and BPC accredited Dynamic Interpersonal Therapist.